Sunday, August 5, 2012

Students in Skirts

07.10.2012

A portion of our English curriculum is teaching the kids clothing vocabulary.  What better way to do this than play "dress up"?  B and I went through the dregs of our wardrobe to find some stuff that the kids would look really funny in.  This two part activity turned out to be a good way to have the kids listen and then pronounce the vocab.

Part 1: I would instruct them to put on certain articles of clothing and they had to rummage through a pile of clothes on the floor to find the correct ones.  Depending on the amount of time they'd have on 1-3 pieces of clothing on top of their uniforms.  This is an overall hilarious time for both the teachers and the students.  The kids especially were in hysterics.  The boys had to wear the skirts.  It's just funnier that way.  Then the whole class would ask the student, "What are you wearing?" in a game-show like way, and the student would have to tell the class the clothing they had to put on.

Part 2:  I did this for some but not all of my classes depending on how much time I had.  After part 1 I would throw Mister (if you don't know who Mister is by now, I am really disappointed in you) to a student from team A (the classes are split up in 3-4 teams depending on seating arrangement).  The student in question would then tell ME what article of clothing to put on.  After helping with pronunciation, I would put that article of clothing on and then throw Mister to a student on team B.  The cycle continues until I am wearing ALL of the dress-up clothing.  I ended up looking a bloated, ridiculous mess every time.


Aum from 2/2

Tannakorn from 2/2

I love this kid.




Bam III from 2/4


This guy is always smiling

Boom from 2/4
Ducky from 2/4

Looking pretty serious for a boy in a skirt and green jelly shoes.

The socks had to be put on over the socks they already had on.  They really thought that was funny.

Photos courtesy of my lovely co-teacher, Carmen.



6 layers of clothing in Thailand will really make you sweat up a storm.  I did it for hilarity and educational purposes.

Camera shy?  I don't think so.
After this dess up activity my 2/4 class requested the use of the classroom's giant communal bottle of talcum powder.  With a little help from Carmen, this is how they applied it.

Leo and Raiwin

Kampan

Ken.  This kid is nuts.

Kaew and Nia

2/6  Carmen helps a kid out with the "pants" which are actually an old pair of Brandon's shorts.

Suay mai?

Chompoo

Poopab


The rabble enjoying the silliness.

Dress the teacher

I am one swanky lady

PP helps pick out my outfit

On an unrelated note, I bought a bear version of Mister for Carmen's 7 month old baby, Ice.  Yes, Ice is the official nickname of her baby, and it's not uncommon here at all.  Sometimes I start singing, "Ice ice, baby" to Carmen, but I don't think she gets it.


I named the little guy "Nong Chai", which means little brother in Thai.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment