Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ratchaburi Floating Market

01.04.2012

The next day was another early morning - no rest for the wicked!  We took the first van out to the Ratchaburi province about an hour and a half south of Nakhon Pathom to see the Ratchaburi floating market, the first floating market in Thailand.


Discovered this little makeshift Frosty up our street on the way to the station.
His facial expression amuses me to no end!

 We arrive in Ratchaburi and discover that waiting for a market boat and then actually boarding one seemed very similar to a log ride at an amusement park.









Our little boat was actually quite fast!
























People lived right along the water.






Entrance to the market




The market was basically a big tourist trap, but I was prepared for that.  I really enjoy being in a boat so I had lots of fun.  I especially loved listening to Jeff haggle like a champion!





 After an hour, the boat will drop you off and you are free to walk around the market some more.






Adorable stray we happened upon.  What a conglomeration of calico colors!



We finished the market by late morning and decided to take a look at Ratchaburi proper to see if there was anything in the town of interest.


Songtel time!




Either Jeff's sleeve is entrancing, or Ashley got a few winks in on the ride.

Upon discovering that there was basically nothing to see in the town we got motorcycle taxis to take us to the van station to go back home.





Ashely's puffy pants looked pretty boss at high speeds






























This is my creepy face.  It thankfully won't come as a shock to some of you.

I had previously mentioned to Jeff and Ashley about the giant monitor lizards that live on Silpakorn University campus near the van station in Nakhon Pathom.  When we got out of the van I was delighted to see a few of the big blighters up and about and to show them to my visitors!




Note the tongue (which I just now had mistaken for a littered straw!)



And I, of course, had to set up a photo opportunity with the sheepish-looking Frosty as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment